VIDEO: Crews in Seattle Remove Barriers Around CHOP After Two Fatal Shootings
Seattle transportation crews used heavy equipment Tuesday to remove some makeshift barriers around the city's "occupiedâ€ protest zone following two fatal shootings in the area. Demonstrators, however, dragged couches and other items to replace the structures. People have occupied several blocks around a park and the Seattle Police Department's East Precinct for about two weeks after police abandoned the building following standoffs and clashes with protesters calling for racial justice and an end to police brutality.
Seattle police Assistant Chief Adrian Diaz said the large, makeshift barriers would be removed in incremental steps to allow traffic to move through portions of a road that had been closed off. There have been increasing calls by critics, Including President Donald Trump, to remove protesters from the "Capitol Hill Occupied Protest" area east of downtown following the fatal shooting Monday of a 16-year-old boy and the June 20 killing of a 19-year-old man.
Protesters insist they should not be blamed for the violence in the area. Police Chief Carmen Best has said the shootings are obscuring the message of racial justice promoted by protesters. Nearby businesses and property owners filed a federal lawsuit against the city last week, saying officials have been too tolerant of those who created the zone and that officials have deprived property owners of their property rights by allowing the zone to continue existing.