VIDEO: Coronavirus Update - The Latest on the Virus Outbreak
The number of new coronavirus cases in South Korea crossed 2,000. Japan is closing schools to limit the spread of the outbreak. New cases continue to appear outside of China with Italy, Iran and Kuwait reporting more infections. Nigeria confirmed its first case, the first reported in sub-Saharan Africa. Stocks tumbled with equity markets in Hong Kong, Japan and Australia all losing more than 2%. U.S. health authorities moved to greatly expand the number of people who will be tested, adding travelers from several new countries and people with unexplained, severe respiratory illnesses. California is monitoring 8,400 people for signs of the virus after they traveled to Asia.
- Confirmed cases worldwide at 83,048; global deaths 2,858
- China death toll at 2,788, up 44; cases climb to 78,824, up 327
- South Korea confirms 256 more cases, bringing total to 2,022
- Limited virus testing in Japan masks true scale of infection
- Hong Kong dog found to have 'low level' of virus
- Coronavirus crisis seeds chaos in Washington and on Wall Street